Friday, February 20, 2009
Trip to Dia:Beacon...

Today I went on a trip to the Dia:Beacon Art Museum in New York. The Building is really nice, it used to be an old box making factory an has been restored since to house some of the most amazing contemporary art created since the 60's. I was truly impressed by some of the artist and thought I'd share a few of my 'faves...'

First, Sol LeWitt. Just an amzing artist. Known for his massive wall drawings/paintings, his work is truly breath taking. So detailed and time consuming. They had his 'Drawing Series,' which was some of the coolest things I have ever seen. His work looks really simple, but do not let that fool you. Creating these pieces was no simple task. Take a look for yourself!


These pieces were great... Really my favorite works in the museum!

The other artist that I really appreciated was Bruce Nauman. He had some really interesting pieces composed of neon lights. I couldn't find any pictures of the pieces at Dia (No cameras allowed.), but here is a piece of his that I really like.


On the other hand... Nauman creeped me out a bit. He had this set up that reminded me of the Saw series... Cameras set up in weird places that showed the images on tv's that were nowhere near where you stood. For example you saw yourself on a tv, but couldn't see the camera or you saw the camera, but didn't know what tv it was showing on... Really 'sketchy..'


If you ever have time, I highly suggest visiting the Dia:Beacon, a nice collection of art that will have you feeling all sort of things... It also sits nicely next to the Hudson River and is a very nice building nonetheless... And the couches!!! So comfortable... I sat for a long time in this room full of Andy Warhol's 'Shadows' piece and was at peace... Very relaxing...

Thanks for tuning in...

Jose


1 Comments:
Blogger sean michael said...
Great posts, glad you decided to get your blog on. As men that come from where we come from and heading where we are headed, we have great stories to share. Documenting our growth and letting others share that with us is a gift, keep up the good work. As usual, i'm proud of you.

Post a Comment