Thursday, September 23, 2010
Carlos Torres, Jr.

Carlos Torres Jr., is a man that I personally did not meet; although he was a great friend of my brother and the brother of a great friend whom I spent many years with. Unfortunately, Carlos passed away in a car accident seven years ago. It has now been 5.5 years that I have been a part of his family, and words cannot describe the impact that his life and death have had on them. He was from what I hear, one of the greatest individuals, someone that people looked up to (I remember seeing people everywhere with tribute tattoos and stickers on their cars), someone with a great future ahead, and someone whose passion for cars was only outmatched by his passion for his family. I never had the chance to exchange words with him, but I often feel his presence through his family. In a strange way, I almost feel as connected to him as I am to his family and as they were to him. It is almost as if I have known him my entire life. This piece is something that I wrote 4 years ago to the day, when thinking about this feeling I get. I have since edited it and I often read it over to remind myself of the beauty of life and how we should not take it for granted; for life is too short and we do not know when our time is up. Although this was a tragic incident and one that has caused a lot of pain to a lot of people, it perhaps led to a series of events that let me enter his family and share the beauty that he once had. To be a part of something far greater than myself. For that, I am grateful. Perhaps if Carlos was still here today, I would not be where I am. Please, do not take this comment as one with selfish intentions; I truly am sorry for his loss. But I am also one that believes that everything happens for a reason, and in many ways, I can draw lines that connect his death to my 'rebirth.' To his family and friends, I feel your pain. I ask that you dwell on the good memories you created with Carlos and that you take a stand to not take your life for granted. I believe that Carlos would want all of us to live, to simply just live, and to enjoy everyday and strive for our passions. ~Jose C. Cotto

To Loved To Be Forgotten

By Jose Cotto (Written on 9/23/06 and edited on 9/23/10)

Although I never met you,

It feels like I've known you my whole life.

Such a tragic way you past,

Seven years ago tonight.

Carlos Torres Jr.,

A man who many will remember.

A leaf that bloomed in May,

And sadly fell in September.

Although you live on in people’s hearts,

It’s hard that you’re not here.

And that’s the reason why today,

The world experienced lots of tears.

But we all know and understand,

That you would want us to move on.

Watching over us,

Protecting us from evil and from wrong.

So tonight is a special night,

Filled with many emotions.

From people who wish they had met you,

To those who were the closest.

Your absence from this world is a reminder,

Not to take for granted this world that we were brought in.

CARLOS TORRES JR.

TOO LOVED TO BE FORGOTTEN

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment